Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Interviews


 I chose to just interview some of my friends to see what their opinions were about cheating and how they have approached cheating throughout their schooling career. I feel that these first hand accounts and opinions are quite valuable to what my final topic is on. 



Have you ever cheated?
Mike: Yes
How many times? When did you do  it most? How did you cheat most often?
Mike: Middle schooled=too scared, raised not to cheat.
High School: Cheating was more prevalent. Mainly cheated off of other students if he was struggling on a test.
College: Never plagiarized, still cheated off other peoples tests if he was struggling.
What was your reasoning as to why you cheated? Did you feel the need to rationalize your decisions?
Mike: I needed good grades, “If I didn’t know the answer, I’m going to look somewhere else”
He doesn’t feel the need to rationalize his decision. Is completely okay with it.
“Everybody cheats, if you don’t cheat you are a liar, and nobody likes liars”
Have you ever cheated on online exams or assignments?
Mike: Yes, even if the course said specifically not to use a textbook or collaborate with anyone, it was too easy not to use my textbook or ask someone if they knew the answer. It would not have been that easy to cheat if the assignment or test wasn’t online.
Do you look at cheating as a hindrance to education, or do you see your classes as just an obstacle to your end goal?
Mike: tough question… Ideally, I would learn everything that the course has to offer. After a while though, I just want the class to be over. Realistically, I’m going to resort to cheating because the workload often becomes tedious and heavy and it’s just not worth dealing with.






Have you ever cheated?
Joey: Yes
How many times?
Joey:  First time he cheated in Elementary school.  Cheated the same amount in middle school and High school. Has only cheated on online tests in college.
What was your reasoning as to why you cheated? Did you feel the need to rationalize your decisions?
Joey: I just wanted good grades. I just did it. I never thought of to even rationalize it. It was never even really a thought. I did it and never looked back. The only reason I would have felt bad is if I got caught, because then my parents would make me feel bad about it.
Have you ever cheated on online exams or assignments?
Yes
Do you look at cheating as a hindrance to education?
It depends on the extent of the cheating. If you are just getting a couple questions from someone else then its not really a hindrance. If you are cheating more than you are not, then it is a hindrance.
Do you see your classes as just an obstacle to your end goal?
Core requirement classes and classes that are forced upon me are just looked at as obstacles to an end goal. Classes for my major, or that are an interest to me I see as a way for me to educate myself on the stuff that matters.





Chris
Have you ever cheated?
Yes
How many times?
First time cheated was in early high school. Cheating off other peoples homework assignments.  As I got lazier, during a test I would just look off others peoples test. Sometimes I’ll look at someone elses test if I’m struggling during the test, but its much harder to cheat in college. Im definitely becoming more independent as to studying and test taking.
What was your reasoning as to why you cheated? Did you feel the need to rationalize your decisions?
I just wanted good grades. There was so much emphasis on the end result and grade rather than actual education.  Feels no real need to rationalize the need to cheat.
Have you ever cheated on online exams or assignments?
Never had an online test or quiz, but will use internet sources for  assignments
Do you look at cheating as a hindrance to education?
“Yes the education systems put too much emphasis on the grades rather than the actual content that you learned”
Do you see your classes as just an obstacle to your end goal?
No. Ultimately everything that you learn in college will help you in the future. I try to make a meaning out of classes even if I cant see one to begin with.



No comments:

Post a Comment